Responsible gaming is a topic which employees from every department must learn on the first day of their job and are reminded of regularly through classroom instruction or internal communications. Trained staff and representatives are on duty 24/7 who can offer assistance to players regarding problem gambling issues. Responsible gaming is promoted to our guests through information kiosks and other communications throughout the casino. The first line of contact in handling a responsible gaming case onsite is the Responsible Gaming Operations Team, who are specifically trained to identify issues, file self-exclusion forms and liaise with counseling agencies. In line with Macau legislation, we also have a Responsible Gaming Committee, comprised of senior management.
Under the Employee Assistance Program (“EAP”), “Enrich Your Life", the Human Resources department works closely with the Responsible Gaming Committee to hold annual events and activities to promote responsible gaming practices to our employees. We also have a long-standing collaboration with Sheng Kung Hui Macau Social Service Coordination Office to provide a professional counseling service for our employees and their families. Some of the highlight initiatives from 2016 include:
- RG Gambling Knowledge Competition: Six of our team members participated in the second “Responsible Gambling – Gambling Knowledge Competition”, organized by the Macau Government in collaboration with all gaming operators, to promote the importance of gaming responsibly to the local community.
- Collaborating for Best Practice: Throughout 2016, we collaborated with several organizations dedicated to furthering education in the field of responsible gaming. For example, we welcomed Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (“TWGHs”), a well-established charitable organization from Hong Kong, to MGM MACAU for an experience sharing visit. We also hosted Hospitality and Tourism Management students from the University of San Diego State to learn about, and discuss, responsible gaming practices in Macau.
In April, we sponsored the second “Board Inauguration Ceremony & Keynote Speech” from the Macau Gaming Management Association, also inviting Mr. Alan Feldman, Chairman of the National Center for Responsible Gaming and Executive Vice President of MGM Resorts International Global Affairs, to give the keynote speech at the event.
- Responsible Gaming Campaigns: To support the 8th Annual Macau Responsible Gaming Campaign organized by Macau Social Welfare Bureau, Gaming Inspection and
- Coordination Bureau, and The Institute for the Study of Commercial Gaming of University of Macau, we held a 3-week campaign in November centered on the subject of “Gambling with Borrowed Money is Harmful”.
- EAP Short Film Series Premiere: During the Responsible Gaming Roadshow, we also premiered our first EAP short film, which was written and produced by us and featured our own employees, to promote our onsite EAP services.